Friday, May 27, 2011

Losing focus and gaining perspective

Do you find yourself seeing other people's projects, etsy shops, consignment booths, or business ventures and think, "Hey! I could do that!"? This happens to me every single day. My problem is that I start losing focus and can't decide which road I want to take. What will I enjoy more? Is my idea unique or does it already exist out there? Can I do it better than everyone else? What will make me more money? Will I be successful? And what do I consider success? I think that question confuses me the most.

Sigh. These aren't bad questions to be asking yourself. It's a sign that there are opportunities available to you and ultimately you have a choice. But, I think we all realize that you can't have everything. Now I know there are amazing bloggers out there who seem to have it all, but are they actually doing it successfully? Sure it may be the business/career they've always dreamed of and they're making $$$ to help pay the bills, etc. but if they have a family (especially a relatively young and new family like mine), are they spending as much time with them as they would like? I find that most of us out there are stay-at-home mothers and chose not to work a 9-5 job to raise our children. I know this is not everyone, but it seems to be the majority. But at what point does the crafty-artsy-blogger go from full-time to part-time mom? It seems to happen overnight for those "successful" ones. If I take on a new venture, how do I make sure not to compromise and ultimately defeat my initial purpose of being a full-time mom? But also how do I fulfill my own wants and needs as, what I would call myself, a creative person?

This is what's on my mind today before the long weekend. Usually I don't write posts like these, but I have a feeling I'm not the only one out there who's constantly battling these questions. And unfortunately for those who are seeking closure at the end of my post, you won't get it. I think I will have this internal conflict for a long long time! But I think it's always best to be self-aware and stop to gain perspective, or else you'll get swept up in a whirlwind of regret.

Emily

6 comments:

  1. The conflict your feeling just means you're a good mom. Giving your daughter love and time is important. I went through the same thing when my boys were little. I have found that getting a clear vision of what you want to do and working on one project at a time, when you have the time, is best. Sometimes when you try to do too much, you end up doing nothing and/or getting frustrated. Don't worry, everything will fall into place. Your a talented lady.
    Your friend in blogland,
    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Rosemary.

    I do most of my artsy/fartsy stuff in the morning and afternoon. No one is here during those times. The evening and weekends are tied up with the ones I love.

    You're doing a great job on your blog and your makeovers, Emily. I'm sure you're an even better momma!!

    Big hugs,
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a stay at home for many years when my boys were growing up and I came into contact with some other SAHM's who weren't good moms...all the time in the world they spent with their kids wasn't going to change that. On the flip side, I've known many working moms who were awesome parents. My husband was raised by a working mom and he's an amazing man! I think a good mom is a good mom...period...regardless of her working status.

    Circumstances are what they are but you ARE a good mom just for the fact that you're questioning it and wondering! A bad mom wouldn't even ponder the question. Good moms come in all forms and all circumstances, your kids are learning from you and the awesome example you're setting:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly what you're feeling right now - I've been struggling with the exact same thoughts for the past couple months. I am so happy I've discovered your blog! I'm your newest follower!

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes it can be a delicate balance. I gave up my career and took an early retirement to take care of an ailing DH and raise a couple of our Grandchildren... having worked all of my adult life I sometimes feel tempted to begin another 'career' in the creative Artistic world... but face the same questions you have been... and have decided that for now, it will remain a Blissful Hobby to be an Artist and I don't pressure myself by taking on too many special orders and make it clear that my waiting list is long and I'm a laid back creator of my Bohemian Bags and only make a few each year. So far folks haven't minded waiting for their pieces and though I can't making a "living" out of it, it remains a Joy and brings in a little extra...

    Good luck where ever your Heart takes you...
    so glad to have discovered your lovely Blog in the Blog Party over at Blue Creek Home.

    Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  6. AMEN sister. Well said. You are not alone! I battle this conflict daily and some days/weeks are just better than others. I think it comes with the territory!

    ReplyDelete