Thursday, June 2, 2011

Freebie Dresser Progress and Ads from 1895

I'm taking my time working on my freebie dresser and I'm a little too lazy to work on another project at the same time, so instead of an exciting furniture reveal, you're getting Slacker Emily progress pics! By the way, I just realized I'm working on the most recent piece of furniture I acquired. Do you do that too? I think there are 4 other projects that should be ahead of this one, but I guess I like to take on the one that's fresh in my mind.

Here's what the pathetic dresser looked like when I got it off the curb.

And here's what it looked like at the end of last week after I removed the peeling veneer from the top and second drawer, and took out the last two drawers.

This past weekend I sanded the top and the second drawer with an electric sander, and today I removed the veneer from the first drawer and started painting the dresser with Behr Creamy White. Initially I wanted to keep the veneer on the first drawer because I didn't want to lose the little wood detail in the middle, but realized I was able to remove it and keep the detail intact! Hurrah!

After seeing the first coat of paint, which is also acting as primer, I can already tell I'm going to need at least 3 coats on the entire dresser. Considering I had to remove the veneer from the top and it was a little bumpy before I sanded it down, it looks better than I thought it would. And can I tell you that it was crazy hot in Houston today and I sweating like mad when I was working on this dresser in the garage? Ick. I took like 3 showers today.

And as promised awhile back, here are some ads from the New Zealand Herald from October 1895. I know, I know...they're awesome.

I LOVE the owl in the bacon trade ad. I'm thinking of framing it but am still mad at myself for accidentally tearing the company name off the top which was "MOREPORK." Best name ever! And I bet I can guess which ad Sue from Sullivan and Murphy likes best :).

Which one is your favorite???

5 comments:

  1. Emily I'm guilty of starting the most recent find first! I think I just get really excited! We are so much alike :) I can't wait to see how the dresser turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dresser would be calling my name until I got out there and finished it...can't wait to see what all you do with it :) Love the owl/bacon add!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geez, Emily- do ya think everyone will now be thinkin' I'm a lush?! LOL gotta love a good Irish whiskey, though....
    I think your chest is going to look wonderful when done! You certainly had a vision- the before pic would have turned most people away. I'm going to buy some chalk paint today- found a local source, so I won't have to pay shipping and handling now. I figure I need to get on the bandwagon with everyone else who is painting furniture and having things turn out great. Where did you get all of those old ads? Stay cool in that TX heat! :-) Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great post Em. I'm so glad you showed what the top looked like with the veneerer taken off. I have an old dresser sitting around and I just haven't decided what to do with it yet. Part of the problem is the veneerer peeling on the top seemed like such complicated work but maybe now I'll just pull it off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally do that; I cannot work on one project from start to finish. I literally have at least 4 projects going at the same time. Drives my husband crazy!!! Gotta love him though!

    ReplyDelete