Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Extra Extra! Lovely Beasts takes on the French Dresser!

It's done! It's done! I've given the most popular French dresser in blogdom a new look.


It's completely different for me, but that's my aim with furniture projects these days. Try something different and make it unique. Some of you will notice that it's MMS inspired and you've probably seen a combo of what I've done out there before but hey, it's new for me!

Here's the dresser that everyone has bought at some point and either redone, or in the process of redoing. Drenched in yellow and gold paint and unfortunately for my guy, a laminate top. Yes, I know laminate is easier to clean, but to me it takes away from the dresser's natural beauty.

And here's how it looked last week. Read here for more details on the paint colors I chose. Some of you might remember that I was keeping the redo of the top a mystery. So did any of you figure it out? Well, it's too late if you didn't because I'm showing you NOW!


TA DAAAAA! Mod Podge + New Zealand Herald newspaper from October 1895 = Fantasticamazingawesomeness! 

This was my very first Mod Podge project and it went surprisingly well. First I cut rectangular sections of the newspaper to fit on the dresser top. I purposely put some horizontal and others vertical. My plan was to use an exacto knife to cut around the newspaper after I had glued it on. With a foam brush, I applied the Mod Podge in small sections and pressed the newspaper on top. I used my old college ID to get the bubbles and wrinkles out. About 8 hours later (at this point the glue was totally dry), I used the exacto knife to cut the edges. It wasn't going that smoothly at first.

See how rough and uneven it looks? I finally developed a method of holding the knife blade at a 45 degree angle and smoothing the blade along the edges to slowly cut off the excess newspaper. It takes patience to do it, but I got in the zone and actually enjoyed it after awhile. Once the edges were flush with the edge of the dresser top, I brushed on another layer of Mod Podge over the newspaper. It was a little tacky when it dried (the Mod Podge bottle said this would happen!) and I was going to go buy sealer (also bottle recommended), but then I thought about my Wipe On Poly and thought that it might achieve the same results. Funnily enough I checked MMS sheet music dresser for some hints and saw that she used the Wipe On Poly too. Wow! I can't exactly say that we think alike, but I can say that I'm starting to think like a professional furniture refurbisher!

So after a layer of Wipe On Poly, the dresser was complete! In case you're wondering, the only issue with the whole Mod Podge process was that the newspaper was naturally wrinkled and I couldn't smooth it out without it tearing. So there are a few small wrinkles on the dresser top, but it adds to the dresser's character. At least it does for me! And I know some of you are cringing that I used the antique newspaper, but it had some damage in the corners that made it unreadable. Now someone can read it and appreciate it everyday! That's the way I'm justifying it anyway!

So I proudly present to you the Lovely Beasts version of the French Dresser. Let's call him "The French Kiwi"! New Zealand newspaper...Kiwi...riiight.

I'm really happy with the white and grey. Never get tired of seeing it. And although a nice white or grey top would be pretty, I wanted something really different, so the newspaper was a perfect choice for me. Just a note, I took these pictures right after the layer of Wipe On Poly so it's not as shiny as it seems (and the newspaper discolorations are more subtle).


And my favorite section of the newspaper. Beautiful building in the Smith and Caughey's Spring & Summer Show ad and the hilarious Ayer's Hair Vigor.

Hope you all like it! I know it's not everyone's thing...but that's what makes it mine! :)

Love,
Emily

Linking up at:
Transformation Thursdayvif187

Chic on a Shoestring DecoratingFurniture Feature Fridays

27 comments:

  1. nice job Emily. I know what you mean about selecting fabrics or colors or whatever that seems right for you. I think your selection of white and grey sets this apart in a really spectacular way! ~diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, this looks AMAZING! I absolutely love the way that the antique newspaper looks on top. Definitely no cringing on my part, just amazement at the beauty! Love it :)

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job, Emily!!! I LOVE the grey and white combo, it's really pretty.

    Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool! Love the colors and they paper on top. Thanks for all the details on the mod podge as that's the 1st thing that popped into my head when I was considering buying my Formica top pieces, but I have never actually done mod podge before. This will be a great article for me to pop back over and refer to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this look! I want to try it soon,, i have that same dresser in my shop!now i need to find some newspaper :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks GORGEOUS!!!!! I love what you've done to the top! Very clever and very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE the newspaper on top. I have a tip for you for the edges after using Mod Podge. After it is completely dry, take an emery board and "sand" off the excess paper around the edges. It works perfectly and you will be able to follow the lines and curves of the piece very easily.

    Great job!! I haven't found one of these dressers yet (well, with a price tag that I like), but I keep looking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So fun!! I love how it turned out!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The top of that dresser is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks fab! And you have more patience than I...I am terrible at using modge podge. Love the dresser!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is amazing. LOVE it. Great job on the paint and the paper!!! I'm your newest follower!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bravo! What a terrific transformation I love all of the dimension that you have given the dresser.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it! It looks so great. The newspaper top is a perfect compliment to the white and gray. I'm in love :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the comment on my bench transformation! And great job on the dresser. Very nice! I love what you did with the top. I did my first modge-podge-on-furniture piece a few months ago and it was a crazy disaster. It looks like you succeeded beautifully. BTW, did you ever go to the round top antiques fair??

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I adore this Emily~ Love the top you created! How wonderful and charming this piece is!! Well done! Thanks for sharing this loveliness at FNF this week! Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous, and very smart! great idea to use the old newspaper. Thanks for linking up to VIF!
    xo Debra

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your dresser looks amazing, Emily! I attempted to cover a bookcase with book pages and Mod Podge last week. I had a devil of a time trying to keep the paper from bubbling and wrinkling. It went on smooth as buttah when I used a squeegee on it, then all Heck broke loose and it buckled and wrinkled. Was I doing something wrong? Would it have dried this way? Needless to say, I pulled it all off and will try to play with it another day! LOL
    ~ Sue

    ReplyDelete
  18. beautiful, emily! love the eclecticism and vintage feel with the paper- you have done a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This dresser is amazing! I love the creative touch of the newspaper on top. Purely awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! You went for it and you hit it out of the park!!!!

    Talk about thinking outside of the box! Again, I'm SOOO happy I found your blog. You are motivating me like you have no idea!!!

    Thank you, thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. "I admire how this blog addresses mental health with sensitivity and understanding. It's crucial to have spaces like this that promote mental well-being and break the stigma surrounding it."
    https://www.aintpayingfull.com/promotions/all-stores

    ReplyDelete
  22. "The sense of community on your blog is heartwarming. It's clear that you've cultivated a safe and welcoming space for readers to connect and engage."
    Fideliti Childcare Vouchers

    ReplyDelete