I've already shown you hundreds of times, but she started out like this.
Pretty, but there were discolorations in the stain and pock marks all over the place. I thought about refinishing the wood, but I realized that the work involved wouldn't justify the overall cost and worth of the headboard. And in my opinion, this style won't sell well unless it's given a new look.
So after filling the pits in the wood with Minwax wood putty, I lightly sanded the headboard all over. Here were the ingredients used to get the below look:
- 2 coats of cheap white Wal-mart paint (ColorPlace brand) all over
- 2 coats of my free Sherwin Williams Uncertain Grey sample paint on the details
- 2 coats of Behr Creamy White on the rest
- 1 test coat of Minwax Dark Walnut stain on the middle section
Argh! Barf! The glaze came out horrible. I tried rubbing off as much as I could, but it was still much too brown and way too streaky. I was not happy. Here's a close-up of what anger looks like.
Back to the white paint again! I painted 1 coat of the Creamy White over the glaze and hoped that it would be enough to cover it up. It wasn't, but it actually worked out in my favor. The glaze was now just right!
I added a good amount of water to my Dark Walnut stain to achieve a similar look on the rest of the headboard, and ended up with happy results. The glaze is darker on the grey details because I wanted it to complement the patina on the circular brass details on the side.
And finally finally, she is done.
I think she'll look so lovely in a room full of white and grey. So glad she's done!
And I keep talking it up, but I've got an awesome 100 Followers giveaway I'm working on for Thursday! I haven't reached the number yet, but I don't really care anymore. Hopefully some of you will follow me once the giveaway is available!
UPDATE: For those of you who are dropping by from a party, the giveaway is officially open! I would love if you entered here!