This poor girl was left to fend for herself. Lovely Beasts to the rescue! Well technically, the husband to Lovely Beasts to the rescue!!!
As you can tell, she ain't pretty. The veneer is missing all over the drawers as well as flaking off the top. She must have a terrible skin condition and dandruff! Also, she only has 4 of her original pulls (4th one not in picture).
The legs are in decent shape, but completely filthy and one side has a shallow slice through it and needs some wood filler. I've never used the stuff before but I think I'll be able to figure it out.
To clean the dresser, I used a vaccuum hose to suck up the sawdust that was inside. The vaccuum was also the perfect way to get rid of spiderwebs and a few spider egg-sacks I found underneath the dresser. Pretty nasty stuff. Next I used a mix of vinegar and water to clean the inside and outside. She looked a little better afterwards, but still sad.
And of course, I decided that I couldn't go to bed tonight without tackling the veneer on the top. I started slowly pulling it off with the help of a small flat-head screwdriver. The veneer was already warped and dried-out so most of it pulled up pretty easily. But the middle portion is being stubborn so I'm going to have to break out the iron.
But that's for another day. Right now, I should really be in bed. Goodnight!