Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Simple Wire Bottle Carrier Redo and Proof I'm Still Working on Furniture

I finally found MY thrift store in Houston. You know, the store where you always find great deals AND great furniture. It's the same place I got the mission style chair I recovered in burlap last week. Today, I saw this black wire basket while I was waiting in line to buy a cabinet (a post for another day). It's a bottle carrier, probably not vintage, but perfect for my tiny collection of 2 blue glass mason jars.

Now we all know we can't leave the basket as is! That would be criminal! So I took some jute twine and wrapped it around the top handle using hot glue. One side is a little thicker than other, but had to tuck some twine underneath so that there was no chance that the handle would unravel. I started messing around with some dropcloth canvas and considered covering the bottom of the basket with it, but realized it would cover up half of whatever I displayed in the basket. Then I remembered a piece of hardware I bought at the Round Top Antique Fair and hung it on the front using the twine. The result was cute, rustic, industrial, and whimsical! Oddly enough, it was exactly the look I was going for!

You like? I hope so! Now I just need 2 more bottles to make my basket complete! And in case you're curious, the bottle on the left is a Ball jar I bought at an estate sale and the right is a Atlas jar I also picked up at Round Top.

And just so you don't think I've abandoned the furniture ship, here's what I've been working on lately. Layers and layers of white paint on a headboard. Usually I wouldn't like this style of furniture, but I loved the round brass details on the top.       

The paint I'm using is pretty crappy. It's one of the cheapest brands you can find at Wal-mart and requires about 4 coats to cover any surface properly. I'm trying to use it up though because I hate for things to go to waste. I'll probably only use it for 3 coats and the use a different paint for the final coat. Also, I don't know if I'm going to keep it white or use some grey/blue on the details. A question for another day!

And remember this awesome coffee table I picked up at a yard sale? (on the right)

Well it's giving me a bit of a headache. The legs weren't strong enough to hold the table top so I took it apart to see what needed to be repaired. The previous owner used penny nails to reinforce the feet to the legs, but they're way too thick and won't "catch" the wood, so it's causing the whole table to be wobbly. Boo!!! It took forever to get 8 of those long nails out! So below are pictures of the state that the table is in now. My husband is going to help me sometime next week to reinforce the whole table correctly. Can't wait to get this beast transformed!

There you go! Furniture progress. Thanks to all for stopping by! I'm almost to 100 followers. Eeeeeee! I think a giveaway is in order, don't you?

Emily

Linking to:

5 comments:

  1. Nice upgrade on that wire basket - love the wrapped handle and the jars - and the keyhole decoration.
    - Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. The jars really make the basket. Can't wait to see what you do with the coffee table. Thanks for checking out my side table. I hated to right anything less than positively raving about chalk paint seeing how big it is but I'm glad to know now that I'm not the only one experinecing the same issues. I would keep your eye on the reviews before investing on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emily :) LOVE your basket redo, it's perfect now!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily you've been very busy! I can't wait to see your bed and table transformed. The blue jars in the basket very clever idea.

    ReplyDelete