Thursday, March 10, 2011

Piping like a boss

IS SHE NEW TO EVERYTHING?
At a recent estate sale, I did my best negotiating and got this chair for $8. They were originally asking for $40, but I went on the last day about an hour before they were about to shut down. The house itself was still filled to the brim with beautiful antiques and I was tempted to by a bureau and another chair while I was there, but I controlled myself and only walked away with this guy.

The chair itself was sturdy and in good shape but the paint was peeling from the weave and it looked like someone left an iron on the velvet blue seat cushion. For shame!

SHE DOESN'T TEAR FABRIC LIKE A BOSS.
I could make a slipcover for this armless guy, but that's not a look I personally like. Instead I'm going to upholster him. This of course requires learning to sew piping. I avoided piping for awhile because it looked like a pain in the ass. But after watching MMS' tutorial, I realized I was just being a wimp. It's actually as easy as it looks! It took me an hour and a half to complete the piping for the cushion, and most of that time was spent on changing the foot on my sewing machine and cutting the canvas into strips. Yes, I am using the canvas drop cloth again for my fabric. I want this chair to match La Belle Premiere. One thing to note if you watch the MMS video on custom piping, she suggests tearing the canvas and does it perfectly on the video. I tried tearing it and ended up with severely crooked and uneven strips of fabric. So not sure if it's just me, but if you don't have a steady hand...I suggest scissors.

Here's my piping. There's a lot more excess fabric then you're supposed to be left with, but I cut my strips really wide.

.

I feel like a piping success!

SPRING SPRUNG.
By the way, I keep seeing people post Spring pictures so here's my obligatory shot. The ironstone cup and saucer were a thrift store find mentioned here. The flowers were surprise from my husband the other day (and no he didn't do anything wrong...believe me I checked). And the book is Runaway Bunny from Aine's Aunt Jenny. It's one of her favorites!


Linking to:
Domestically Speaking

1 comment:

  1. I tried tearing the drop cloth and ended up w/many uneven strips too.

    Can't wait to see what you do with this chair!

    ReplyDelete